BMI The Duchy Hospital, Harrogate – Response to publication of CQC Report July 2017
Nick London, David Duffy and Mark Farndon (Foot & Ankle / Knee colleague) work at BMI The Duchy Hospital in Harrogate, Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital and Harrogate District Hospital.
A recent Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection of the Duchy Hospital (October 2016) has raised concerns in some of the many aspects routinely examined by the CQC. Whilst respecting both the views and importance of the CQC process, we would like to reassure our patients that we have confidence in the drive, dedication and commitment shown to patient care by our consultant colleagues, the healthcare staff and the new hospital management. Having safely and successfully treated thousands of satisfied patients (including colleagues and friends) at the Duchy Hospital, we have no hesitation in confidently recommending the hospital to our current and future patients.
One purpose of the CQC inspection process is to appraise performance and guide improvements when required. Specific issues identified by this CQC report and the responsive actions implemented include the following:
- Concerns about the effective leadership and management of the hospital were identified. An experienced management team has been introduced, carefully selected from BMI hospitals that have good ratings from the CQC. This team has worked tirelessly over the last few months to address each area identified by the CQC for improvement.
- The hospital has reviewed staffing levels and introduced tight management of staffing resource aligned to patient need.
- The BMI group has expedited planned investment and refurbishment of the hospital. This has focused on inpatient rooms and clinical areas.
- Risk management has been given a new and vigorous focus. Robust and auditable processes highlight and mitigate against potential risks.
- ll Consultants, ward and operating theatre staff, engage with and contribute to the Five Steps to Safer Surgery and the World Health Authority Checklist. These recognised and validated tools are specifically designed to ensure high levels of safety for patients undergoing surgery.
We were satisfied that, at the time of the inspection visit, the hospital was safe and offered high quality care for our patients. We remain of that view today and we look forward to the imminent re-inspection by the CQC with confidence.
Please contact us if you would like to talk to one of the consultants directly:
In addition, BMI Healthcare have a dedicated line for patients who have any concerns about their past, current or future treatment – 0800 096 2254 (BMI)
Private treatment can be organised at the Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital or Harrogate District Hospital if preferred.
YKC surgeons perform more knee replacements than almost anyone else. Discover why that matters.
Read Patient Case Studies
From knee pain to pain free. Some of our former patients explain their knee treatment experiences with YKC